The Church of St. Mary Magdalene

Church

The Church is the former Anglican parish church of the hamlet of Tortington in the district of Arun.

It was founded around 1140 but there are various ideas on who built it. There is a view that it was built for the nearby Priory but other records suggest it predates that. The building is of local flint and Caen stone and despite some Victiorian restoration work, little has changed.

It is Grade 11 listed due to its of architectural and historical importance. The building remained in use until 1978 and is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust (CCT).

____________________________________________________

The Church is in the care of the CCT but services are still organised by St Nicholas’ Church, Arundel and are held four times each year. An active group of volunteers support the church with a wide range of actiities and help maintain the churchyard.


Temporary Closure of the Church of

St Mary Magdalene, Tortington

see announcement


A list of their normal activities can be viewed here:

The Friends of Tortington Church 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

There are brown road signs marked “St Mary’s Church” at the Ford Road junction 

with Tortington Lane along with a second sign pointing North

along a walking only access path to the church gate.